What a difference a year makes.
I turned 24 today. And I’m here to say that nothing is ever as easy as it looks. I’ve survived everything up until this moment, and I’ve got a lot more surviving ahead of me.
I will say that I’ve learned a lot in my 24 years. Heck, I’ve learned a lot in the past four years, things I never thought I would have to learn:
- I’ve learned that you can’t depend on other people for your happiness, because other people will leave you high & dry when you need them most. You should never depend on someone else for your happiness. Be happy with yourself, and happiness will follow otherwise.
- I’ve learned that abusive relationships take time to bubble to the surface; they’re not always necessarily easy to spot. Sometimes you can go for months without seeing any red flags, even though your friends are practically waving you down with flares to get you to see them.
- I’ve learned that anxiety and depression are something you have to control for yourself. If you don’t take the steps to fight it, you’re going to end up in a dark place. I’ve fought it, and I’m here, and that’s all that matters.
- I’ve learned that procrastination is bad, and even though I tell myself this every single time a school assignment comes through, I just have to sit down and finish them before something goes wrong. That’s all there is to it. You need to break yourself of the procrastination habit before things get bad for you.
I’ve learned some good things, too.
- I’ve learned how a relationship is supposed to work.
- I’ve learned an entirely new set of skills in the work force, because I’m now an 8-5 office drone, and it’s absolutely wonderful.
- I’ve learned how to live on my own (which includes killing my own spiders, which is the most terrifying part, to be honest).
- I’ve learned how to grocery shop with minimum food waste (because I’m a person living in an apartment by myself and I just don’t cook as much as I want to because recipes are made for like twenty people).
I’ve accomplished a lot over the past year, too. In no particular order:
- I went to my first X-Wing Regional.
- I guest-starred on a top-rated X-Wing Podcast.
- I got a new job.
- I found love in a comic book shop (I love you, Steven!).
- I moved out on my own. (This means no roommates, y’all.)
- I became a published author.
- I finished all of my classes for my Master’s degree.
- I discovered that I have to take a little extra time on my thesis.
- I went on an overnight camping trip and loved it.
- I celebrated my blog’s first birthday (and edited the theme!).
- I’ve bought a lot of plants.
- I attended my second SEC football game.
- I survived what was most likely a combination of pneumonia & bronchitis.
- I read all of Jane Austen’s novels.
- I adopted and lost a hamster.
- I finished out an unpaid summer internship.
And. of course, I’ve bought way too many books. That’s why we’re here, isn’t it?
In short, I’ve accomplished a lot of amazing things in such a short amount of time. I never dreamed that some of these things would happen, and yet here I am. Just going back through my blog posts (and my diary) made me realize how much has happened in such a short time.
I started Year 23 feeling hopeless and lost, and I’m starting Year 24 happier than I’ve ever been before. I know that might sound cliche, but really, so much can change in a year, and I am so much happier. I just can’t put my feelings into words, which is weird because I’m a writer and words are pretty much my life.
I hope this post brought a little bit of light to you, because it’s mostly a ramble for me.
Thank you for reading this, thank you for celebrating my birthday with me.
And as always, keep reading.